As well as providing freshly prepared, nutritional meals for West Kirby students, Sodexo are keen to provide advice on staying healthy and eating the right amounts of different food types. Below are some handy hints to maintain a balanced diet.
- Eat five pieces of fruit and vegetables a day. Include fresh, frozen, dried, canned or as juice. Fruit and vegetables provide antioxidant vitamins, minerals and fibre. Vitamin C in fruit and vegetables also helps the body absorb iron better
- Have a large serving of starchy food at each meal. These include breads, pasta, other cereals, potatoes, yams and rice, which provide energy, vitamins, minerals and fibre - choose wholegrain varieties
- Include milk and dairy foods a couple of times a day. Dairy foods are a valuable source of calcium, which is important for strong bones and teeth. Dairy foods also contain other important nutrients
- Eat two servings of protein each day. Fish, meat and alternative protein sources such as eggs, beans and other non-dairy sources of protein
- Reduce intake of food and drinks high in fat and/or sugar. Try not to consume these too often, but if you do, only have a small amount
- Drink plenty of water. We require six to eight cups or glasses of water every day